Cheddar and Scallion Biscuits with Ham
A well-balanced meal doesn't always mean protein, vegetables, and a starch. Sometimes balance is more about evoking a place or a feeling - thoughtful food that's playful and plays well together is how balance presents in our kitchen.
It all started with a mention of the Derby. I had a friend who attended one year - seersuckered and bourboned to the gills, his stories or food, drink, and carousing rivaled the best Big Easy tales. Hats and juleps the norm, the smell of cigars permeated everything.
Those images danced in my head while I walked through our garden this weekend and discovered scallions ready to use. Without missing a beat, a menu appeared. Cheddar scallion biscuits with ham would pair with rye whiskey like a dream, and I'd make a plate of deviled eggs as a nod to all good Southern buffets. While not a sit-down dinner, these plates would let us enjoy cocktails and eat with our hands, and it'd feel like we'd been invited to a party just for us!
Cheddar Scallion Biscuits (adapted from Rebecca Buchert's recipe)
2 c flour
1 T baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
7 T butter, cold and divided
3/4 c buttermilk
6 scallions, chopped (green part only)
1 c Beecher's Flagship Reserve (or any good sharp cheddar), crumbled into large pieces
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Work 2 T butter into the flour mixture so it is well combined.
- Add the remaining butter and work it in to have various sized pieces in the mixture.
- Add the chunks of cheddar to the flour mixture.
- Stir the green onions into the buttermilk and add to the flour mixture all at once.
- Using a few sweeping motions, combine the wet and dry and then turn the mixture out onto a floured board.
- Roll the mixture gently into the shape of a rectangle.
- Fold the rectangle into thirds and re-roll. Repeat once more.
- Cut the dough into squares and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake 12 - 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Deviled Eggs (as pictured)
4 - 6 boiled eggs, split with the cooked yolks separated
Spanish chorizo, diced and fried
Roasted red pepper, chopped
Salt & pepper, mayo, dijon
Smoked paprika for garnish
Scallions for garnish
- Combine the yolks with all the remaining ingredients (except for the paprika and scallions) and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Spoon egg salad into egg white halves, top with a scallion and dust with paprika.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.